The Math League is designed for any student who is interested in completing math exercises. If there is enough interest, students may compete as a team against other schools. Club members learn faster ways to solve problems. They also discuss math application for the real world. Math League is not intended to provide homework help.
- Fee: $65
- Meeting Times: Begins in the fall and continues through February. Math League meets Mondays from 2:30-3:30 pm on practice days and 2:20-5:30 pm on competition days.
- To Join: Sign up with advisor.
NJHS was established to recognize outstanding achievement in high school and middle level students. Students who join demonstrate excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, citizenship, service, and character. Members participate in at least two service projects a year. To qualify for membership a student must earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.75 and exemplify the qualities listed above.
- Fee: None
- Meeting Times: Held the first Wednesday of each month during advisory.
- To Join: All students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.75 at the end of the first semester may apply for membership.
The Yearbook Committee's primary purpose is to produce a 96-page book representing classes, staff, activities, and sports at SMS. Each year, yearbook students choose a theme, which is carried throughout the book in artwork, headlines and copy. They receive hands-on experience in photography, layout design, interviewing, writing copy, proofreading, and especially, in working together. The Committee also meets with the yearbook publishing company representative monthly to check deadlines.
- Fee: None
- Meeting Times: Meets through the entire school year. Announcements will be made for the first meeting time.
- To Join: Students should visit with Ms. Tomten for more information and to join.